Re: Backport "WITH ... AS MATERIALIZED" syntax to <12?

От Isaac Morland
Тема Re: Backport "WITH ... AS MATERIALIZED" syntax to <12?
Дата
Re: Backport "WITH ... AS MATERIALIZED" syntax to <12?  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Re: Backport "WITH ... AS MATERIALIZED" syntax to <12?  (Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 at 10:53, Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> In general, I'm not opposed to accepting and ignoring the MATERIALIZED
> syntax (assuming we'd only accept AS MATERIALIZED, but not the negative
> variant).
>
> FWIW I'm not sure the "we don't want to upgrade application code at the
> same time as the database" is really tenable.

I'm -1 for exactly this reason.

In any case, if you insist on using the same code with pre-12 and
post-12 releases, this should be achievable (at least in most cases) by
using the "offset 0" trick, shouldn't it?

That embeds a temporary hack in the application code indefinitely.

If only we had Guido's (Python) time machine. We could go back and start accepting "AS MATERIALIZED" as noise words starting from version 7 or something.