Re: Let people set host(no)ssl settings from initdb

От Isaac Morland
Тема Re: Let people set host(no)ssl settings from initdb
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 at 15:00, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

In the third place,
I believe the vast majority of users don't invoke initdb "by hand"
anymore.  The typical scenario is to go through a packager-provided
script, which almost certainly won't offer access to these additional
options.

I can't speak to other distributions, but on Ubuntu pg_createcluster allows a -- followed by initdb options. So at least on Ubuntu any additional options will indeed be available to everybody. I would hope that other distributions have the same capability.

I for one would like to be able to tell initdb (pg_createcluster) what to put in the first column of pb_hba.conf in the same way I can already use --auth{,-host,-local}= to set the auth-method column. Ideally, for simple situations (think testing scripts and the like, rather than long-term installations) the pg_hba.conf could be created by initdb and not changed after that.