Re: psycopg is the new psycopg3?

От Vladimir Ryabtsev
Тема Re: psycopg is the new psycopg3?
Дата
Список psycopg
As long as psycopg2 is not disappearing anywhere, psycopg3 seems better.
New users will interpret psycopg2 as "more advanced psycopg".

Vladimir

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 at 10:06, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 11/10/20 9:12 AM, Daniele Varrazzo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have received some concerned voices in regard to have a package called
> "psycopg3". I guess many have been burned out by the Python 2 to 3
> transition, and now it's not a happy pair of number to see next to each
> other. Sorry, Fibonacci...
>
> The rationale behind having the 2 in the package name was to allow the
> coexistence between v1 and 2. But now that nobody uses v1 anymore, I
> think the name can be considered free. I believe it even predates pypi
> and the requirements.txt convention. Dark times...
>
> Anyone against using "psycopg" as package name, and starting from 3 as
> version number?

Yes.

1) "psycopg" is widely used as an alias for psycopg2, so that will cause
confusion.

2) I see a lot of explaining why the order of versions is psycopg2, psycopg.

3) People don't seem to be confused that you can use psycopg2 with both
Python 2 and 3.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com