Re: historical log of data records

От Sanjay Minni
Тема Re: historical log of data records
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Are you referring to Table Partitioning ?

with warm regards
Sanjay Minni
+91-9900-902902

On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 at 14:50, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Tue, 2021-11-16 at 13:56 +0530, Sanjay Minni wrote:
> I need to keep a copy of old data as the rows are changed.
>
> For a general RDBMS I could think of keeping all the data in the same table with a flag
> to indicate older copies of updated /  deleted rows or keep a parallel table and copy
> these rows into the parallel data under program / trigger control. Each has its pros and cons.
>
> In Postgres would i have to follow the same methods or are there any features / packages available ?

Yes, I would use one of these methods.

The only feature I can think of that may help is partitioning: if you have one partition
for the current data and one for the deleted data, then updating the flag would
automatically move the row between partitions, so you don't need a trigger.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Сообщение: Re: historical log of data records
Сообщение: Re: historical log of data records