Restoring a database dump from 9.0 to 9.2

От Jay McGaffigan
Тема Restoring a database dump from 9.0 to 9.2
Дата
Re: Restoring a database dump from 9.0 to 9.2  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Restoring a database dump from 9.0 to 9.2  (Ben Madin <ben@ausvet.com.au>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,
  I've been trying to restore a fairly sizeable database dump from my
production server onto my dev box.
Recently upgraded to 9.2.2 and wanted to try it out.

So I grabbed a text dump of the database and tried the "Createdb dbname;
psql < dmpfile" way of restoring that's always worked for me before
upgrading my dev box and I'm getting errors on import.  Some of my columns
have 'rich text' (carriage returns, XML and other markup) in it and I
suspect they are causing the issues (basically the errors I'm seeing seem
to imply that the text formatting is getting out of wack I'm suspecting due
to carriage returns embedded in the dump file).    This causes lots of
errors as the processing of the file is now out of sync.

I had been able to load this same file under PSql 9.1.

If I get a binary dump file that I need to use something like pg_restore
with .  it runs for over 12 hrs locks up my mac adn uses all system memory
(i've 16G RAM on my system)

This db is like 30G in size.

Any one have any debugging advice?  I'm thinking if I can use the text
based dump that is created with proper escaping then things might work.
 But so far reading documentation I haven't really figured out if this is a
viable path.

If this is not a good way to do it I'm open for any and all suggestions.

Thanks!
Jay