Re: Does converting an indexed varchar to text rewrite its index?Docs say so, tests say no.

От Mike Lissner
Тема Re: Does converting an indexed varchar to text rewrite its index?Docs say so, tests say no.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
You wrote:

 > Well it did not rebuilt the index("t1_name_idx") you created on name.

OK, so then the docs *are* wrong? They say that:

> any indexes on the affected columns must still be rebuilt.

But that doesn't happen? Sorry to be persistent. I'm just a bit confused here.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 11:28 AM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 1/23/20 11:17 AM, Mike Lissner wrote:
> Thanks Adrian. Is there a reason that the index rebuild is nearly
> instant during the ALTER command as opposed to when you build it from
> scratch?

Well it did not rebuilt the index("t1_name_idx") you created on name.

> Does it have to do with why this is called a "toast" index?

Certain data types(those that have varlena) can have portions of their
data stored in an auxiliary table in a compressed(or not) form. For all
the details see:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/storage-toast.html

The index is the one on this auxiliary table.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: Does converting an indexed varchar to text rewrite its index?Docs say so, tests say no.
Сообщение: Re: Does converting an indexed varchar to text rewrite its index?Docs say so, tests say no.