Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ]

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ]
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 5:30 AM, Dilip kumar <dilip.kumar@huawei.com> wrote:

On 16 July 2014 12:13 Magnus Hagander Wrote,

>>Yeah, those are exactly my points. I think it would be significantly simpler to do it that way, rather than forking and threading. And also easier to make portable...

>>(and as a  optimization on Alvaros suggestion, you can of course reuse the initial connection as one of the workers as long as you got the full list of tasks from it up front, which I think you  do anyway in order to do sorting of tasks...)

Oh, I got your point, I will update my patch and send,

Now we can completely remove vac_parallel.h file and no need of refactoring also:)

Thanks & Regards,

Dilip Kumar

Should we push the refactoring through anyway?  I have a hard time believing that pg_dump is going to be the only client program we ever have that will need process-level parallelism, even if this feature itself does not need it.  Why make the next person who comes along re-invent that re-factoring of this wheel?

Cheers,

Jeff

Сообщение: Re: Proposal for updating src/timezone
Сообщение: Re: Proposal for updating src/timezone