Re: [RFC] What should we do for reliable WAL archiving?

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: [RFC] What should we do for reliable WAL archiving?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Saturday, March 29, 2014, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> But, it is hard to tell what the real solution is, because the doc doesn't
> explain why it should refuse (and fail) to overwrite an existing file.  The
> only reason I can think of to make that recommendation is because it is
> easy to accidentally configure two clusters to attempt to archive to the
> same location, and having them overwrite each others files should be
> guarded against.  If I am right, it seems like this reason should be added
> to the docs, so people know what they are defending against.  And if I am
> wrong, it seems even more important that the (correct) reason is added to
> the docs.

If memory serves, that is the reason ... and I thought it *was* explained
somewhere in the docs.

You are right, and it has been there for a decade.  I don't know how I missed that the last several times I read it.  I remember clearly the paragraph below it, just not that one.

Sorry,

Jeff