Re: allowing VACUUM to be cancelled for conflicting locks

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: allowing VACUUM to be cancelled for conflicting locks
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 6:54 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> In the past, we've had situations where "everything is hung" turned out
> to be because of a script that ran manual VACUUM that was holding some
> lock. It's admittedly not a huge problem, but it might be useful if a
> manual VACUUM could be cancelled the way autovacuum can be.

I think the real answer to that is "stop using manual VACUUM".

Autovac is also going to promote itself to uninterruptible once every 150e6 transactions (by the default settings).

To stop using manual vacuums is not going to be a complete cure anyway.

It would be nice to know why the scripts are doing the manual vacuum.  Just out of mythology, or is there an identifiable reason?

Cheers,

Jeff

Сообщение: Re: allowing VACUUM to be cancelled for conflicting locks
Сообщение: Re: allowing VACUUM to be cancelled for conflicting locks