Re: archive_command during database shutdown

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: archive_command during database shutdown
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
> On 25/05/16 20:57, Jeff Janes wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Sameer Kumar <sameer.kumar@ashnik.com>
>> wrote:

>>> What version of PostgreSQL are you using?
>>

>> 9.2, 9.4, 9.5, 9.6beta.

>>> What's your goal here?
>>

>> I want my database to shut down cleanly when I tell it to.
>>

>>> During a shutdown, if you don't so much care about checkpoint and fsync
>>> of
>>> buffers to disk, you can do an immediate shutdown.
>>

>> But I do care about the checkpoint.  Otherwise you lose all your
>> unlogged tables.  And probably other unfortunate things happen, as
>

> Isn't that the point of unlogged tables? Or rather, isn't that the risk you
> knowingly take with them - you trade reliability for speed?

Sure.  And I have rebuilt them.  But when the firemen pack up and
leave, I've got better things to be doing with my time (and limited IO
capacity on a half crippled system) than rebuilding unlogged tables
for no particular reason. The purpose of the database is to be a tool,
not a moral scold.

But now I think the problem is not when the archive_command fails, but
when it hangs and never returns at all.  That means the solution has
to look somewhat different, but I still don't know exactly what.

Cheers,

Jeff