Re: Monitoring number of backends

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: Monitoring number of backends
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM, andy <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:
On 10/22/2013 2:18 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
On 10/22/2013 11:25 AM, andy wrote:
Hum.. I had not thought of that.  My current setup uses 40 max
connections, and I don't think I've ever hit it.  I use apache and
php, and my db connections are not persistent.

that style of php programming, you're getting some HUGE overhead in
connect/disconnect per web page.    putting pg_bouncer in the middle
will make a HUGE improvement, possibly a second per page load on a busy
server.

No, actually, I don't think my connect overhead is huge.  My apache and postgres are on the same box, and it connects using unix socket. Perhaps if my apache on db were on different boxes it would be a problem.

I have not noticed a large difference between loopback and unix socket on any modern computer.  The difference between a loopback connection and a connection between two machines in the same data center is more noticeable when benchmarked in highly optimized code, but I'm skeptical about how meaningful it would be in php.  You can always use ab or ab2 and try it out for yourself.

My page response time is sub-second, and I run quite a few queries to build the page.  But also, my server isn't to busy at the moment.  The load is around 0.3 to 0.5 when its busy.

Wasn't your question to figure out how to make sure things continue to run fine when the demand increases to a higher level than it currently is? If you cite its current OK performance to reject the advice, I'm not really sure what we are going to accomplish.

Stephen Said:
If I did plugin pg_bouncer, is it worth switching my php from
pg_connect to pg_pconnect?

No, let pg_bouncer manage the connection pooling.  Having two levels of
pooling isn't a good idea (and pg_bouncer does a *much* better job of it
anyway, imv..).

So you say DO use persistent connections, and Stephen says DONT use them.

They both say to use persistent connections--the ones between pg_bouncer and postgres itself.  But for two different reasons, one to reduce the number of connections you make and break to postgresql, the other to reduce the number of active connections at any one time.  Both are valid reasons.

 Although there are a few new players.  Assuming Apache, pgbouncer and postgres are all on the same box, and I'm using unix sockets as much as possible, it probably doesn't matter if I use non-persistent connections from php.

But if I need to move the db to its own box... then should I move pgbouncer there too?

That depends on where the bottleneck is.

Cheers,

Jeff

Сообщение: Re: Monitoring number of backends
Сообщение: Re: Monitoring number of backends