Re: [PERFORM] Unlogged tables

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: [PERFORM] Unlogged tables
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 8:20 PM, ldh@laurent-hasson.com <ldh@laurent-hasson.com> wrote:

Hello,

We have a fairly large static dataset that we load into Postgres. We made the tables UNLOGGED and saw a pretty significant performance improvement for the loading. This was all fantastic until the server crashed and we were surprised to see during a follow up demo that the data had disappeared... Of course, it's all our fault for not understanding the implications of UNLOGGED proprely.

However, our scenario is truly a set of tables with 100's of millions of rows that are effectively WORMs: we write them once only, and then only read from them afterwards. As such, they could not be possibly corrupted post-load (i think) during a server crash (short of physical disk defects...).

Yes, this is a feature many people have wanted.   You'd have to somehow mark the unlogged table as immutable and then do a checkpoint, after which it would no longer need to be truncated after a crash.  Alternatively, it could be done automatically where the system would somehow know which unlogged tables were possibly touched since the last successful checkpoint, and truncate only those one.  But, no one has implemented such a thing.

I'd like to have the performance improvement during a initial batch insert, and then make sure the table remains after "unclean" shutdowns, which, as you might have it, includes a regular Windows server shut down during patching for example.

Why doesn't the Windows scheduled shutdown signal postgres to shutdown cleanly and wait for it to do so?  That is what is supposed to happen.

So unlogged tables in practice are pretty flimsy. I tried to ALTER ... SET LOGGED, but that takes a VERY long time and pretty much negates the initial performance boost of loading into an unlogged table.

Are you using streaming or wal logging?

Cheers,

Jeff

Сообщение: Re: [PERFORM] Unlogged tables
Сообщение: Re: [PERFORM] Unlogged tables