Re: confusing message about archive failures

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: confusing message about archive failures
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday, April 17, 2013, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
When archive_command fails three times, it prints this message into the
logs:

"transaction log file \"%s\" could not be archived: too many failures"

This leaves it open what happens next.  What will actually happen is
that it will usually try again after 60 seconds or so, but the message
indicates something much more fatal than that.

Could we rephrase this a little bit to make it less dramatic, like

"... too many failures, will try again later"

?

+1  I've found the current message alarming/confusing as well.  But I don't really understand the logic behind bursting the attempts, 3 of them one second apart, then sleeping 57 seconds, in the first place.

Cheers,

Jeff