Re: Bloom index cost model seems to be wrong

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: Bloom index cost model seems to be wrong
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 4:17 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> In order for bloom (or any other users of CREATE ACCESS METHOD, if there
> are any) to have a fighting chance to do better, I think many of selfuncs.c
> currently private functions would have to be declared in some header file,
> perhaps utils/selfuncs.h.  But that then requires a cascade of other
> inclusions.  Perhaps that is why it was not done.

I'm just in the midst of refactoring that stuff, so if you have
suggestions, let's hear 'em.

The goal would be that I can copy the entire definition of genericcostestimate into blcost.c, change the function's name, and get it to compile.  I don't know the correct way accomplish that.  Maybe utils/selfuncs.h can be expanded to work, or if there should be a new header file like "utils/index_am_cost.h"

What I've done for now is:

#include "../../src/backend/utils/adt/selfuncs.c"

which I assume is not acceptable as a real solution.

It's possible that a good cost model for bloom is so far outside
genericcostestimate's ideas that trying to use it is not a good
idea anyway.

I think that might be the case.  I don't know what the right answer would look like, but I think it will likely end up needing to access everything that genericcostestimate currently needs to access.  Or if bloom doesn't, some other extension implementing an ACCESS METHOD will.

Cheers,

Jeff