Re: Running pg_upgrade under Debian

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: Running pg_upgrade under Debian
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 9:34 AM, rob stone <floriparob@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2015-04-17 at 16:16 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 04/17/2015 03:09 PM, rob stone wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to upgrade from 9.3 to 9.4 on my laptop and encountering this
> > error:-
> >

> > postgres@roblaptop:/usr/lib/postgresql/9.4/bin$ ./pg_upgrade

So, on the command line I'm putting "listen_addresses=localhost" which
pg_upgrade picks up but the following option sets this to ''.
It is starting pg_ctl in the 9.3/bin directory but makes the socket
directory in 9.4/bin??

Note that 9.4/bin seems to be the current working directory from which you are running the command.  That is probably not such a good idea.

If pg_upgrade is actually reading the conf files it should not be
necessary to supply any of these options, as port numbers, PID file
locations, etc. are specified there.

If pg_upgrade used the values from the config files, then anyone who is accustomed to connecting to the database with those setting could unthinkingly connect to it during the upgrade process and screw up the upgrade.  It intentionally chooses methods to prevent that from happening, by putting the socket somewhere private, or at least unpredictable.

waiting for server to start....2596 5533cb8c.a24 2015-04-20 01:36:44
AESTLOG:  redirecting log output to logging collector process
2596 5533cb8c.a24 2015-04-20 01:36:44 AESTHINT:  Future log output will
appear in directory "pg_log"

However, it appears appear that pg_upgrade does honor the logging-collector related settings from the config file (should it?  I can see arguments both ways) and you so you have to look in the pg_log directory to figure out what the actual problem is.

Cheers,

Jeff