Re: Postgresql performance degrading... how to diagnose the root cause

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: Postgresql performance degrading... how to diagnose the root cause
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Franck Routier <franck.routier@axege.com> wrote:
Hi,

I don't know that tcp-b does
tpcb.jar is a java implementation of the http://www.tpc.org/tpcb/ benchmark. It is not particularly representative of my workload, but gives a synthetic, db-agnostic, view of the system performance.
We use it to have quick view to compare differents servers (different OS, different RDBMS, etc...).

I took a quick look at that implementation, and I can't make heads nor tails of it.  It is just a lit of .java files.  There is no documentation, README, instructions, or example usage.  Am I missing something?  How do I run it, and tell it what scale to use and what database to connect to?

That said, the test wil create tables, load them with data, and perform some transactions on them.
The point that makes me wonder what happens, is that the test run on my main database is slow, while the same test run on a database on its own is quick.
This is the same postgresql cluster (same postgresql.conf), same tablespace (so same disks), same hardware obviously.

Regarding the server activity, it seems quite flat : iostat shows that disks are not working much (less than 5%),

Which column of the iostat output is that coming from?

top shows only one active core, and load average is well under 1...

Can you show the first few rows of the top output?

Cheers,

Jeff