Re: Disallow arrays with non-standard lower bounds

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: Disallow arrays with non-standard lower bounds
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net> wrote:
On 1/9/14, 10:58 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net> writes:
ISTM that allowing users to pick arbitrary lower array bounds was a huge mistake. I've never seen anyone make use of it, can't think of any legitimate use cases for it, and hate the stupendous amount of extra code needed to deal with it.

You lack imagination, sir.

Considering what you'd normally want to do in SQL, the only example I can think of is to not have the argument over 0 vs 1 based.

Actually, I was thinking there might be some computational problems where changing lower bound would be nice, but then again, what other languages actually support this?

Perl does, though they regret it bitterly.

Cheers,

Jeff

Сообщение: Re: Disallow arrays with non-standard lower bounds
Сообщение: Re: Disallow arrays with non-standard lower bounds