Re: Parallel query execution

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: Parallel query execution
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday, January 15, 2013, Simon Riggs wrote:
On 15 January 2013 22:55, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

>> Why is this being discussed now?
>
> It is for 9.4 and will take months.  I didn't think there was a better
> time.  We don't usually discuss features during beta testing.

Bruce, there are many, many patches on the queue. How will we ever get
to beta testing if we begin open ended discussions on next release?

If we can't finish what we've started for 9.3, why talk about 9.4?

Yes, its a great topic for discussion, but there are better times.

Possibly so.  But unless we are to introduce a "thinkfest", how do we know when such a better time would be?

Lately commit-fests have been basically a continuous thing, except during beta which would be an even worse time to discuss it.  It think that parallel execution is huge and probably more likely for 9.5 (10.0?) than 9.4 for the general case (maybe some special cases for 9.4, like index builds).  Yet the single biggest risk I see to the future of the project is the lack of parallel execution.

Cheers,

Jeff