Re: index on ILIKE/LIKE - PostgreSQL 9.2

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: index on ILIKE/LIKE - PostgreSQL 9.2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 11:59 PM, Lucas Possamai <drum.lucas@gmail.com> wrote:

>> How big is the table?  The gin index?  shared_buffers?  RAM?  What
>> kind of IO system do you have, and how many other things were going on
>> with it?
>

> - Just a reminder that I'm not running these tests on my prod server.. I'm
> running on my test server. So the confs will be different
>
>> The table is 9GB big
>> The gin index is 400MB big
>> shared_buffers = 1536MB
>> RAM = 8 GB

With those sizes, the gin index will probably be naturally kept mostly
in the file-system cache, if it is used regularly.  So the original
slowness of your first query is likely just a cold-cache problem.  Can
you generate a stream of realistic queries and see what it stabilizes
at?

> I just wanted to understand why the GIN index is not working, but it works
> here: https://www.depesz.com/2011/02/19/waiting-for-9-1-faster-likeilike/

In your first email, the gin index did "work", according to the
execution plan.  It just wasn't as fast as you wanted.  In general,
the longer the query string is between the %%, the worse it will
perform (until version 9.6, and to a smaller degree even with 9.6).
But it still seems oddly slow to me, unless you have a cold-cache and
really bad (or overloaded) IO.

>> It would be interesting to see the output of explain (analyze,
>> buffers) with track_io_timing turned on.
>

> explain analyze buffer with track_io_timing turned on:

That is the wrong query.  The CTE (i.e. the WITH part) is an
optimization fence, so it can't use the gin index, simply because of
the way you query is written.  (I think Melvin suggested it because he
noticed that using the gin index actually slowed down the query, so he
wanted to force it to not be used.)

Cheers,

Jeff