Re: Does PostgreSQL have complete functional test cases?

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: Does PostgreSQL have complete functional test cases?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Tianyin Xu <tixu@cs.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Hi, Pavel, Bruce,
>
> Thanks for the explanation!
>
> I have another question regarding the regress test suite.
>
> What does the test result mean to the users/administrators? Are they the
> basic functions that have to be supported by PG server? Or, they are just
> some benchmarks (failure is ok?)
>
> Under certain configuration, I ran the test suite and got several failure
> (see the report below). What does it mean to me? The test results show that
> "regex", "create_index", "inherit", etc, failed (even "select" failed). But
> I still don't know whether these are severe problems to my PG server.

You have to check the individual log files about what exactly the
differences are.

Sometimes the failures are for spurious reasons, for example the
regression test was assuming rows would be returned in one order, but
they were returned in a different order instead, yet the order is not
meaningful to the correctness.

If you build with a non-default block size, for example, you get many
of these types of failures.  Verifying that they are all acceptable is
tedious, and I don't know of an easy way to do it.

Cheers,

Jeff

Сообщение: Re: Does PostgreSQL have complete functional test cases?
Сообщение: Re: Does PostgreSQL have complete functional test cases?