Re: Process title for autovac

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: Process title for autovac
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 5:56 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
On Sat, 2013-04-06 at 13:20 -0700, Jeff Janes wrote:
> I've often wanted to know what the autovacuum worker was doing.  The
> process title seems like the best place to get this information, but
> the process title tells me what database it is in, but not what table
> it is working on.

Because the process title is publicly visible, you shouldn't put any
"interesting" information in it.

OK. I did not think that the existence of a table name would be interesting, but I can see that some would consider it so.

I think what you want might be better kept in pg_stat_activity.

And in fact it is already there.  I had just never thought of looking there for background process stuff.  It even includes the notice "(to prevent wraparound)" when applicable.

Thanks!

I'd still like it in the process title, because I'm not worried about exposing table names and I always have 'top' running while I don't monitor pg_stat_activity as a matter of routine.  But I guess the security concern wins.

I'll mark it as rejected.

Thanks,

Jeff