Re: pgbench progress with timestamp

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: pgbench progress with timestamp
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:

Use milliseconds for consistency with the '%n' log_prefix patch currently
submitted by Tomas Vondra in the CF.

  sh> ./pgbench -P 1 -N -T 100 -c 2
  starting vacuum...end.
  progress: 1.0 s, 546.0 tps, lat 3.619 ms stddev 4.426
  progress: 2.0 s, 575.0 tps, lat 3.480 ms stddev 1.705

  sh> ./pgbench -P 1 --progress-timestamp -N -T 100 -c 2
  starting vacuum...end.
  progress: 1440328800.064 s, 549.0 tps, lat 3.602 ms stddev 1.698
  progress: 1440328801.064 s, 570.0 tps, lat 3.501 ms stddev 1.704

I like the idea of the timestamp.  But could just always print both the
timestamp and the elapsed time, rather than adding another switch to decide
between them?

I agree that an option for this purpose is on the heavy side.

I'm not sure how fine it would be, though: progress lines can already be a little bit long (under -R & -L) and I do not like wide terminal. Also, I see --progress as a "user friendly" easy to read feature to know how things are going during a run. A timestamp does not fall into this category: it is pretty ugly and unreadable, so it is really out of necessity that I'm resorting to that.

So I would rather keep the option because of the inelegance of having timestamps printed.

OK.

In the sgml, second should be plural in 'intead of the number of second since the'.  And 'intead' should be 'instead'.

Also, in the usage message, I think the key piece of this is that it is Unix-epoch, not that it is ms resolution:

--progress-timestamp     use a ms timestamp for progress

Maybe

--progress-timestamp     use a Unix-like epoch timestamp for progress reporting

but that is getting pretty long.

Other than that, I think it looks good.

Cheers,

Jeff