Re: Tablespace-derived stats?

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: Tablespace-derived stats?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Shaun Thomas <sthomas@optionshouse.com> wrote:
> On 10/19/2012 10:05 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:
>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-altertablespace.html
>

> Yep. I realized my error was not checking the ALTER page after going through
> CREATE. I swore I remembered seeing it in the past, but was surprised it
> wasn't there.

When I didn't see it under CREATE, I went to the docs page for the
global page_cost settings, and that page directed me to the ALTER for
the tablespace specific ones.  It does seem like a statement in the
CREATION page indicating that more options are available only via the
ALTER of an already existing tablespace would be beneficial.

> I keep forgetting Postgres prefers a CREATE + ALTER style than overloading
> every CREATE with all ALTER options. Though in my opinion that just adds
> extra unnecessary steps.

I was surprised by the absence of the option in CREATE.  I didn't
recognize that as a general pgsql pattern though, I just thought it
was peculiar to tablespaces.  But I haven't surveyed the universe of
create and alter commands.

Cheers,

Jeff