Re: PG 9.x prefers slower Hash Joins?

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: PG 9.x prefers slower Hash Joins?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 4:56 AM, Anthony Presley <anthony@resolution.com> wrote:
> In relation to my previous thread (about SW RAID vs. HW RAID on a P400), I
> was able to narrow down the filesystem speed and in general, our new system
> (running PG 9.1) is about 3x - 5x faster on the IO.
> In looking at the query plans in more depth, it appears that PG 9.0 and 9.1
> are both preferring to do hash joins, which seem to have a "linear" time and
> are slower than PG 8.4 doing an index scan.
>
> For example, on PG 9.x:
>   http://explain.depesz.com/s/qji - This takes 307ms, all the time.  Doesn't
> matter if it's "cached", or fresh from a reboot.
> Same query on PG 8.4:
>   http://explain.depesz.com/s/8Pd - This can take 2-3s the first time, but
> then takes 42ms once it's cached.

Does executing this same query repeatedly with the same parameters
reflect real production use patterns of your system?

> Both of these servers have the same indexes, similar postgresql.conf, and
> almost identical data.  However, the old server is doing some different
> planning than the new server.  I've run analyze on both of these databases.

> If I disable the hashjoin, I get massive improvements on PG 9.x ... as fast
> (or faster) than our PG 8.4 instance.

Can you include buffers in your explain analyze?  Also, what is the
plan for the new server when hashjoin is disabled?

What if you lower random_page_cost to 1 (or to whatever value seq_page_cost is)?

Cheers,

Jeff