Re: Strange Windows problem, lock_timeout test request

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: Strange Windows problem, lock_timeout test request
Дата
Re: Strange Windows problem, lock_timeout test request  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> On 01/19/2013 02:36 AM, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
>>

> A long time ago I had a lot of sympathy with this answer, but these days not
> so much. Getting a working mingw/msys environment sufficient to build a bare
> bones PostgreSQL from scratch is both cheap and fairly easy. The
> improvements that mingw has made in its install process, and the presence of
> cheap or free windows instances in the cloud combine to make this pretty
> simple.  But since it's still slightly involved here is how I constructed
> one such  this morning:

I've used this description, skipping the Amazon part and putting it
directly on my Windows computer, and it worked.

Except bin/pg_ctl does not work.  It just silently exits without doing
anything, so I have to use bin/postgres to start the database (which
is what "make check" uses anyway, so not a problem if you just want
make check).  Is that just me or is that a known problem?  I've seen
some discussion from 2004, but didn't find a conclusion.

What advantages does mingw have over MSVC?  Is it just that it is
cost-free, or is it easier to use mingw than MSVC for someone used to
building on Linux?  (mingw certainly does not seem to have the
advantage of being fast!)

Would you like to put this somewhere on wiki.postgresql.org, or would
you mind if I do so?

Thanks for the primer,

Jeff