Re: XLogInsert scaling, revisited

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: XLogInsert scaling, revisited
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 4:32 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
On 21.06.2013 21:55, Jeff Janes wrote:

Hmm, it looks like the xlog-switch is trying to wait for itself to finish. The concurrent TRUNCATE is just being blocked behind the xlog-switch, which is stuck on itself.

I wasn't able to reproduce exactly that, but I got a PANIC by running pgbench and concurrently doing "select pg_switch_xlog()" many times in psql.

Attached is a new version that fixes at least the problem I saw. Not sure if it fixes what you saw, but it's worth a try. How easily can you reproduce that?

With v23, it got stuck both times I tried it, once after 4 hours and once after 6 hours.

With v24, it has been running for 30 hours so far with no problems.  So there is a pretty good chance that it is fixed.

This is using the same testing harness as in the last round of this patch.

This one? http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMkU=1xoA6Fdyoj_4fMLqpicZR1V9GP7cLnXJdHU+iGgqb6WUw@mail.gmail.com

Yes.  I have cleaned it up some and added use of checksum, I don't know if any of those things are needed to invoke the problem.

Cheers,

Jeff