Re: [pgadmin-hackers] [PlumAdmin][Weekly Design Update]

От Adam Brusselback
Тема Re: [pgadmin-hackers] [PlumAdmin][Weekly Design Update]
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
I just wanted to chime in because both of these features are things I used heavily in previous jobs with different DBMS.

History : Enabling users to be able to see their full queries within the history panel

What we know

  • Users want to reuse queries when they are iterating upon previously run queries

  • When the changes are small, retyping queries is a painful and time consuming process

  • Users tend to use the text editor as their history, choosing not to delete each query after running it, or type out full queries in another application and copy/paste it into pgAdmin when they need to run it.

What we’re working to validate

  • Do users need to compare two previously run queries? (Is this an edge case we need to account for?)

  • What value does seeing time offer? If it’s to see how long ago I ran this query, how might we better display time to enable this?

  • What is the best way for displaying a 1000+ line query?

I absolutely love the idea behind this, but the old PGAdmin3 implementation left a lot to be desired.

I think the most useful implementation of a "history" feature  i've used can be found in an extension for Sql Server Management Studio (SSMS) called SSMS Tools: http://www.ssmstoolspack.com/Features?f=3
That is one of the things I miss most about using SSMS for database development.  It saves both window history, and query execution history, and both are put in a single searchable location, as well as the current window history feature that's been discussed.  I heavily used the date search in my workflow.
In my old job, I was responsible for assigning all of my time to tasks in our ticketing system.  If I ever had time that wasn't assigned at the end of the week, the history in SSMS Tools is how I would figure out what I was doing on Monday from 2pm - 4pm.

It was also helpful if I wrote an "adhoc" script that I didn't save because it wasn't something that should have had to be used again, but then a week later someone wants the same thing slightly tweaked.  Since it saved window / execution history for an arbitrary amount of time, you could set it to save the last 6 months of history if you wanted.  We had 10 developers on my team, and every single one had that extension installed and used it heavily.

Autoformat: Enabling users to quickly organize unformatted code into something readable

What we know

  • Users need to quickly be able to organize it for scanning and reading.

What we’re working to validate

  • Users need to see how to autoformat after they highlight a section of text

  • Where autoformat function can be placed to be useful with minimal distraction

Here is another area where I had missed.  I used to use a tool called SQL Assistant: https://www.softtreetech.com/sqlassist/index.htm

It had very configurable formatting options, so you didn't have a one-size-fits-all solution. If you liked your commas in a select list before or after, there was a setting for that.  Do you like each join condition on a new line? How much should it be indented? Etc... I have my fingers crossed that any implementation is open to that type of customization.

Anyways, thank you for all the work that you're putting into the project, it's not going unappreciated.