Re: Incrementally refreshed materialized view

От Adam Brusselback
Тема Re: Incrementally refreshed materialized view
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Rakesh Kumar
<rakeshkumar464@outlook.com> wrote:

> Does PG have a concept of MV log, from where it can detect the
> delta changes and apply  incremental changes quickly.

That is what I am trying to work toward with the patch I cited in
an earlier post.  Once some variation of that is in, the actual
incremental maintenance can be build on top of it.  To see an
example of what would be done with such a delta relation for a
simple MV, using the count algorithm, see below:

Well I feel like I've learned a ton already reading through the links you provided earlier and that example above.

I'm very interested in getting this into core. I'll look into what I need to do to review. Not crazy familiar with C, as I mainly do Java development. I'll see if I can help in any way though.

The main reason I was working on an alternative is because I need something now rather than in a couple years, but I've been dealing with manually creating the few I do need for my database. What I proposed above was just me thinking about what could be done with things as they are. Obviously it's junk compared to a real solution in-core.  Would you consider my approach even worth trying, or should I just suck it up and do things manually for now and put that effort into getting incremental refresh into core?