Re: Deadlock between concurrent index builds on different tables

От Jeremy Finzel
Тема Re: Deadlock between concurrent index builds on different tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Each index build needs to wait for all other transactions (Including the ones used by the other index build) to finish.  So I don't think a deadlock here is unexpected.

Cheers,

Jeff
 Does that mean I should never build more than one concurrent index at a time within the entire cluster? If so, that is not clear from the documentation.

So if I start 2 index builds within a second of each other, you are saying that the first will not finish even though it started first because there is a long transaction from the second index build? I would expect much more deadlocks in this case, but building 5 indexes concurrently at a time of a total 15 indexes I only get one or two deadlocks. I would expect many more if I can’t even have 2 at once...

Thanks,
Jeremy