Re: Missing rows after migrating from postgres 11 to 12 with logical replication

От Lars Vonk
Тема Re: Missing rows after migrating from postgres 11 to 12 with logical replication
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

First to answer your questions:

1) Was there activity on the 12 instance while it was being replicated
to that could account for the missing(deleted?) rows?

No there was no activity other than us doing some queries to check how far the replication was.

2) Are the logs still available for inspection to see if there where any
errors thrown?

Yes, and we dug into those. And we also found some indications that something went wrong.

3) Are there FK relationships involved?

No

4) How did you determine the rows where missing?

We were alerted by a bug later that day and found that some rows were missing in the new primary. We did a compare based on primary key and found that several tables were missing rows. Before the switch we unfortunately only checked max(id) and did some counts on tables and those all checked out. We didn't do a count on all tables...

So to come back at the logs:

We dug a little deeper and we did found ERROR logs around the time we ran the initial copies. During a period of several hours that day we see a couple of messages like:

ERROR: requested WAL segment 00000001000001F10000001D has already been removed

This message is logged a few times and then no more (perhaps it recovered from it?)

Other than this error there are no other errors, but unfortunately we never checked this before migrating to the new primary...
In hindsight not very smart of course, but we never thought of this because:

a) the initial copy and the catching up all seemed fine;
b) in previous attempts when we made some errors we noticed for instance that the WAL files on the previous primary were kept because the new primary did not yet process them.
So we assumed when all WAL files are "gone" and the max(id) checks out the replica is in sync and consistent with the primary;
c) our experience with hotstandby replication is that whenever a WAL segment is missing it won't skip over it and wait until you restore it. We assumed (and still assume) that this was also the case with logical replication;

So the questions we now have is:

1) is it correct that a replica of a logical replication skips over missing WAL files.
2) if so how can you know that it skipped a wal without looking at the log files or doing a full count?
3) Is there a fail fast mechanism for logical replication (like hotstandy) that when a WAL file is missing that it stops with further replication

Regards,
Lars

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 6:58 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 12/20/20 8:33 AM, Lars Vonk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if someone knows how this could have happened? Did we
> miss out on something when setting up the logical replication? Are there
> any scenario's in which this could happen (like database restart or
> anything else?).
> Or should I report this a bug (although I can't image it is)?
> We really would like to know how we can prevent this from happening the
> next time.
>
> We still have the old primary, and a snapshot of the current primary
> around the time we flipped from the old to the new. So we could some
> digging into the cause, but we don't know what to look for...

Questions I have:

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com