Re: pgstattuple free_percent to high

От Nicola Contu
Тема Re: pgstattuple free_percent to high
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,
anyone can help on this matter, Alessandro highlighted?

Thanks a lot,
Nicola

Stephen, Rene - Thanks!

Our experience teach us that above 20% of free space performance start to seriously deteriorate.  I'm not sure if this is related to index or table fragmentation. We'll do our homework and we'll try to discover more.

However we have identified a process potentially causing the free space spike high but it's not related to long running transactions modifying (update, insert) on those tables. What DEV is currently doing is create a sort of de-normalized cache table  like this:
* tablename is the table with the free space issue

INSERT INTO cache_table
SELECT *, table2.<col>, ...table<N>.col  FROM tablename
JOIN table2 on ...
..
JOIN  table<N> on....

So no updates/inserts/deletes to tablename are involved but that query may run for 15 (this is the AVG more or less)  minutes holding an ACCESS SHARE lock (I guess).

We are wondering why we have that spike if we are not modifying the relation and what we can suggest DEV from the query/db perspective to alleviate/fix the issue.

Again, thanks so much.

Thanks and kind regards
Aste - alessandro.aste@gtt.net