Re: WIP: System Versioned Temporal Table

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: WIP: System Versioned Temporal Table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
A side table has the nice additional benefit that we can very easily
version the *table structure* so when we ALTER TABLE and the table
structure changes we just make a new side table with now-currents
structure.

Also we may want different set of indexes on historic table(s) for
whatever reason

And we may even want to partition history tables for speed, storage
cost  or just to drop very ancient history

-----
Hannu Krosing
Google Cloud - We have a long list of planned contributions and we are hiring.
Contact me if interested.

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 8:32 PM Simon Riggs
<simon.riggs@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sept 2021 at 01:16, Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> 1. Much of what I have read about temporal tables seemed to imply or almost assume that system temporal tables
wouldbe implemented as two actual separate tables. Indeed, SQLServer appears to do it that way [1] with syntax like

> >> WITH (SYSTEM_VERSIONING = ON (HISTORY_TABLE = dbo.WebsiteUserInfoHistory));
> >>

> >> Q 1.1. Was that implementation considered and if so, what made this implementation more appealing?
> >>

> > I've been digging some more on this point, and I've reached the conclusion that a separate history table is the
betterimplementation. It would make the act of removing system versioning into little more than a DROP TABLE, plus
adjustingthe base table to reflect that it is no longer system versioned.

> Thanks for giving this a lot of thought. When you asked the question
> the first time you hadn't discussed how that might work, but now we
> have something to discuss.
>
> > 10. Queries that omit the FOR SYSTEM_TIME clause, as well as ones that use FOR SYSTEM_TIME AS OF CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
wouldsimply use the base table directly with no quals to add.
> > 11. Queries that use FOR SYSTEM_TIME and not FOR SYSTEM_TIME AS OF CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, then the query would do a
unionof the base table and the history table with quals applied to both.

> > 14. DROP SYSTEM VERSIONING from a table would be quite straightforward - the history table would be dropped along
withthe triggers that reference it, setting relissystemversioned = 'f' on the base table.