Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions

От Nikhil Sontakke
Тема Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Andres,

> So what if we, at the begin / end of cache miss handling, re-check if
> the to-be-decoded transaction is still in-progress (or has
> committed). And we throw an error if that happened. That error is then
> caught in reorderbuffer, the in-progress-xact aborted callback is
> called, and processing continues (there's a couple nontrivial details
> here, but it should be doable).
>
> The biggest issue is what constitutes a "cache miss". It's fairly
> trivial to do this for syscache / relcache, but that's not sufficient:
> there's plenty cases where catalogs are accessed without going through
> either. But as far as I can tell if we declared that all historic
> accesses have to go through systable_beginscan* - which'd imo not be a
> crazy restriction - we could put the checks at that layer.

Documenting that historic accesses go through systable_* APIs does
seem reasonable. In our earlier discussions, we felt asking plugin
writers to do anything along these lines was too onerous and
cumbersome to expect.

> That'd require that an index lookup can't crash if the corresponding
> heap entry doesn't exist (etc), but that's something we need to handle
> anyway.  The issue that multiple separate catalog lookups need to be
> coherent (say Robert's pg_class exists, but pg_attribute doesn't
> example) is solved by virtue of the the pg_attribute lookups failing if
> the transaction aborted.
>
> Am I missing something here?

Are you suggesting we have a:

PG_TRY()