initdb fails to initialize data directory

От Nikhil Sontakke
Тема initdb fails to initialize data directory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Encountered the following behavior with initdb on one of our test
builds while using latest master head:

initdb -D $DATADIR

The program "postgres" was found by "/Users/nikhils/install/bin/initdb"
but was not the same version as initdb.
Check your installation.

Intrigued, on digging down further, this is happening because we are
not using a long enough buffer to accept the output of "postgres -V"
in the find_other_exec() function. In our case, we had used
--with-extra-version option with configure which caused the output of
"postgres -V" to go a little beyond the current "line" variable size.
This caused the strcmp to fail leading to initdb refusing to
initialize any data directories at all.

PFA, a patch which uses MAXPGPATH for the variable size.

Regards,
Nikhils
--
 Nikhil Sontakke                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL/Postgres-XL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

Вложения