Re: Maximum number of sequences that can be created

От Robert Klemme
Тема Re: Maximum number of sequences that can be created
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Віталій Тимчишин <tivv00@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/5/11 Robert Klemme <shortcutter@googlemail.com>

>> On the contrary: what would be the /advantage/ of being able to create
>> millions of sequences?  What's the use case?
>
> We are using sequences as statistics counters - they produce almost no
> performance impact and we can tolerate it's non-transactional nature. I can
> imaging someone who wants to have a  sequence per user or other relation
> row.

I can almost see the point. But my natural choice in that case would
be a table with two columns.  Would that actually be so much less
efficient? Of course you'd have fully transactional behavior and thus
locking.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/