Re: PostgreSQL vs Mongo

От Ondrej Ivanič
Тема Re: PostgreSQL vs Mongo
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

On 17 October 2013 02:30, CS DBA <cs_dba@consistentstate.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any thoughts on why we would / would not use Mongo for a
> reporting environment.

hm.. I wouldn't use anything which doesn't support rich SQL as a
backed for reporting system. In mongo, simple selects are fine but
anything complex requires map-reduce style query. Hence you need real
developers to maintain it.

> what are the use cases where mongo is a good fit?
> what are the drawbacks long term?
> is mongo a persistent db or simply a big memory cache?
> does mongo have advantages over Postgres hstore?

This is very good summary: http://aphyr.com/posts/284-call-me-maybe-mongodb
(entire "Call me maybe" series is good: http://aphyr.com/tags/jepsen,
even Postgres is there)

The problem with all NoSQL solutions is that they are selected based
on the features and APIs not based on consistency vs. availability
tradeoffs. Moreover, distributed system should have partition
tolerance and many NoSQL dbs simply drop data in this case.

--
Ondrej