new material for "Postgres for MySQL users" presentation

От Ondrej Ivanič
Тема new material for "Postgres for MySQL users" presentation
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

Several years ago I gave this presentation to a bunch of PHP
developers in order to show then that something else is out there :).
Presentation was based on MySQL 4.1 and Postgres 8.2/8.3 (early 2008).
I would like to do it again and I'm looking for sources which can I
re-use (and credit back of course).

Presentation has the following structure:
- Installation (database server and required PHP modules)
- First look around (PGAdmin, psql)
- Postgres nomenclature and MySQL equivalents (database cluster,
schema, MVCC, fulltext)
- Let's create first database and users (psql, pg_hba, createdb,
createuser, ...)
- Basic performance tuning
- Cool things in Postgres (transactional DDL, PostGIS, custom types, ...)
- Annoying things (Slow count(*), (auto)vacuum/(auto)analyze)
- Replication and HA

I need to remove obsolete stuff and add new things like "extensions"
and "hstore" -- anything else worth mentioning? I would like to talk
more about replication and HA because Postgres implemented same set of
features like MySQL (but MySQL steps forward with master-master setup
(should I count Postgres-XC?)).

If you know about some good resources (presentations, blogs, ...)
which can I use please let me know!
Thanks!

--
Ondrej Ivanic