Re: Side effects of moving an index to a new tablespace

От Ondrej Ivanič
Тема Re: Side effects of moving an index to a new tablespace
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

On 10 January 2012 09:16, Jason Buberel <jason@altosresearch.com> wrote:
> We have lots of them, they are much smaller than the tables, and that will
> allow us to do the migrations more incrementally.

In your case I would keep data and indexes on different table spaces
(and lower random_page_cost).

> One area where the documentation is not very detailed - What are the side
> effects and/or constraints put in place while an index is being moved? I
> assume that the index will not be available to the query planner/engine
> during that time period. Are there other ways in which the table (and other
> indices) are affected or locked?

yes, you are right there is not too much about "alter index" locking
in the docs. When I did this last time (PG 8.4) 'alter index' acquired
 'ACCESS EXCLUSIVE' lock.

--
Ondrej Ivanic
(ondrej.ivanic@gmail.com)

Сообщение: Re: How do you change the size of the WAL files?
Сообщение: Re: How do you change the size of the WAL files?