Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>> Perhaps I've missed the point entirely, but, I have to ask: How could
>> there ever be false positives? With checksums, false positives are
>> simply not allowed. Therefore, there cannot be a false positive,
>> unless we define checksums as a mechanism that should only find
>> problems that originate somewhere at or below the filesystem. We
>> clearly have not done that, so ISTM that checksums could legitimately
>> find bugs in the checksum code. I am not being facetious.
>
> I'm not sure I'm following your question here.  A false positive would
> be a case where the checksum code throws an error on a page whose
> checksum is correct, or where the checksum has failed but nothing is
> actually wrong/different on the page.

I thought that checksums went in in part because we thought that there
was some chance that they'd find bugs in Postgres. I was under the
impression that that was at least a secondary goal of checksums.

> As for the purpose of checksums, it's exactly to identify cases where
> the page has been changed since we wrote it out, due to corruption in
> the kernel, filesystem, storage system, etc.  As we only check them when
> we read in a page and calculate them when we go to write the page out,
> they aren't helpful for shared_buffers corruption, generally speaking.

I'd have guessed that they might catch a bug in recovery itself, even
when the filesystem maintains the guarantees Postgres requires.

In any case, it seems exceedingly unlikely that the checksum code
itself would fail.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?