Re: jsonb format is pessimal for toast compression

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: jsonb format is pessimal for toast compression
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> We've got a clear example of someone, quite reasonably, expecting their
> JSONB object to be compressed using the normal TOAST mechanism, and
> we're failing to do that in cases where it's actually a win to do so.
> That's the focus of this discussion and what needs to be addressed
> before 9.4 goes out.

Sure. I'm not trying to minimize that. We should fix it, certainly.
However, it does bear considering that JSON data, with each document
stored in a row is not an effective target for TOAST compression in
general, even as text.

--
Peter Geoghegan