Re: jsonb and nested hstore

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Tomas Vondra <tv@fuzzy.cz> wrote:
> I think that's unfounded assumption. Many users actually have very
> little control over the documents or queries - a nice example may be the
> mail archive, with headers stored in a hstore/jsonb. I have absolutely
> no control over the headers or queries.

Maybe, but what do you want me to do to help them? Indexing a typical
jsonb field is a bad idea, unless you really do want something
essentially equivalent to full text search (which could be justified),
or unless you know ahead of time that your documents are not going to
be heavily nested. The whole basis of your complaints seems to be that
people won't know that at all.

> For many usecases, expressional indexes are the right tool. But not for
> all and I see no reason to just throw some tools away.

If the tool you're talking about throwing away is the GiST opclass, I
do not propose to throw that away. I don't think it's important enough
to justify inclusion in our first cut at this, especially given the
fact that the code has bugs, and is quite a bit more complex than GIN.
What's wrong with those reasons?

--
Peter Geoghegan