Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately nobody has the time/resources to do the kind of testing
> required for a new recommendation for shared_buffers.

I meant to suggest that the buffer manager could be improved to the
point that the old advice becomes obsolete. Right now, it's much
harder to analyze shared_buffers than it should be, presumably because
of the problems with the buffer manager. I think that if we could
formulate better *actionable* advice around what we have right now,
that would have already happened.

We ought to be realistic about the fact that the current
recommendations around sizing shared_buffers are nothing more than
folk wisdom. That's the best we have right now, but that seems quite
unsatisfactory to me.

--
Peter Geoghegan