Re: Vacuum, Freeze and Analyze: the big picture

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Vacuum, Freeze and Analyze: the big picture
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
>> But it seems like the kernel is disposed to cache large amounts
>> of dirty data for an unbounded period of time even if the I/O
>> system is completely idle,
>
> It's not unbounded time.  Last I heard, the default was 30 seconds.

I'm pretty sure it is unbounded. The VM documentation is a bit vague
on what dirty_expire_centisecs actually means, which is I presume
where this number comes from. It says:

"This tunable is used to define when dirty data is old enough to be eligible
for writeout by the pdflush daemons.  It is expressed in 100'ths of a second.
Data which has been dirty in-memory for longer than this interval will be
written out next time a pdflush daemon wakes up."

So I think the a pdflush daemon won't necessarily wake up until
dirty_background_bytes or dirty_background_ratio have been exceeded,
regardless of this threshold. Am I mistaken?

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt
--
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: Vacuum, Freeze and Analyze: the big picture
Сообщение: Re: Vacuum, Freeze and Analyze: the big picture