Re: Performance optimization of btree binary search

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Performance optimization of btree binary search
Дата
Re: Performance optimization of btree binary search
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> I'm kind of
> curious as to what this benchmark would like like on a server with
> many more cores.

I'm also curious about the impact on insertion into primary key
indexes. Presently, we hold an exclusive buffer lock for the duration
of a couple of operations when checkUnique != UNIQUE_CHECK_NO.
_bt_binsrch() is one such operation. The other one there,
_bt_check_unique(), is likely to be a lot cheaper than _bt_binsrch()
on average, I think, so I'm cautiously optimistic that it'll be
noticeable. I better go and check it out.

--
Peter Geoghegan