Re: amcheck (B-Tree integrity checking tool)

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: amcheck (B-Tree integrity checking tool)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> This would be packaged from source in my case, but that's no big deal
> :) At least I can see that it is added in the next CF, and that's
> marked as ready for committer for a couple of months now...

If you consider how the code is written, you'll see that it's very
unlikely to destabilize production systems.

Every page is copied into local memory once before being operated on,
and only one buffer lock/pin is held at once (for long enough to do
that copying). If there were bugs in amcheck, it's much more likely
that they'd be "false positive" bugs. In any case, I haven't seen any
issue with the tool itself yet, having now run the tool on thousands
of servers.

I think I'll have a lot more information in about a week, when I've
had time to work through more data.

--
Peter Geoghegan