Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem
Дата
Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I am not sure that having that external to the backend really makes
> sense because I am concerned people will not use it.  We can certainly
> add it to change our defaults, of course.  Also consider many installs
> are automated.

Sure.

I was imagining that we'd want to write the tool with the idea in mind
that it was usually run immediately after initdb. We'd reach out to
packagers to have them push it into the hands of users where that's
practical.

If you think that sounds odd, consider that on at least one popular
Linux distro, installing MySQL will show a ncurses interface where the
mysql password is set. We wouldn't need anything as fancy as that.

--
Peter Geoghegan