Re: Abbreviated keys for Numeric

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Abbreviated keys for Numeric
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 5:47 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with you.  Fewer and fewer people are running 32-bit systems
> these days, but there must surely be more people running 32-bit
> systems than there are running with DEC_DIGITS != 4.  I think it's a
> stretch to say that DEC_DIGITS != 4 is "supported" in any meaningful
> sense, so I don't think de-supporting it is an issue.

Of course Andrew's analysis is correct...very few people are building
with DEC_DIGITS != 4. Maybe zero. That's beside the point, IMV, which
is that it's less invasive to just keep the code the way it is.
Desupporting DEC_DIGITS != 4, by making the code break in a general
way, without reference to this patch, seems misguided. I would like
the build to break in a way that makes the customizer of numeric.c
realize that they can disable abbreviation manually too, and still
build with DEC_DIGITS != 4. Otherwise, you better remove all the
existing specialized DEC_DIGITS != 4 code, of which there is a fair
bit. I don't think it makes sense to call that code "historical".

--
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: Abbreviated keys for Numeric
Сообщение: Re: Abbreviated keys for Numeric