Re: jsonb concatenate operator's semantics seem questionable

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: jsonb concatenate operator's semantics seem questionable
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 05/18/2015 11:34 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>> I'm not necessarily attached to "+". I just want to make this
>> different to hstore's "||" operator. There should be a similar idiom
>> with jsonb, but that can come later.
>
> This argument still makes no sense to me.  Hstore is not nested. If
> anything, the behavior of || in hstore suggests that we *should* use ||
> for shallow append in JSONB.

Should the "@>" operator be non-nested, as in hstore, too?

As you say, hstore isn't nested, and so this simply doesn't come up
there. We have failed to adopt "||" to jsonb in a way that makes
sense. We should have adopted it to jsonb in exactly the same way as
the "@>" operator was.
--
Peter Geoghegan