Re: Clock sweep not caching enough B-Tree leaf pages?

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Clock sweep not caching enough B-Tree leaf pages?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 7:29 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. Improving the choice of which buffers we evict, which is what
> Peter's talking about, or at least what I think he's talking about.
>
> Those things are both important, but they're different, and I'm not
> sure that working on one precludes working on the other.  There's
> certainly the potential for overlap, but not necessarily.

That's certainly my primary area of interest here, but there may be
some overlap with other areas, or areas were cooperation turns out to
be appropriate. At the risk of stating the very obvious, if the
caching algorithm is making poor decisions about caching, and leaf
pages are continually swapped in and out of shared_buffers for no good
reason, that is likely to constrain the scalability of the buffer
manager. That could be very significant.

My immediate concern here is getting recognition of the importance of
weighing frequency of access in *some* way.

--
Peter Geoghegan