Re: Improvement of pg_stat_statement usage about buffer hit ratio

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Improvement of pg_stat_statement usage about buffer hit ratio
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM, KONDO Mitsumasa
<kondo.mitsumasa@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> I regret past decision of Itagaki-san's patch, and improvement might not be
> possible. However, we can change it, if we get have logical reason to change
> it.

I suppose so.

>> I don't think that the tool needs to be expensive. If selecting from
>> the pg_stat_statements view every 1-3 seconds is too expensive for
>> such a tool, we can have a discussion about being smarter, because
>> there certainly are ways to optimize it.
>
> I can understand why you say my patch is heavy now! Your monitoring methods
> are redically heavy. In general, we get pg_stat_statements view every 1 min
> - 5min. It is because monitoring SQLs must not heavier than common main
> SQLs.

Certainly, not everyone would want to take snapshots so frequently.
Most users would not. However, if you're worried about the overhead of
parsing the pg_stat_statements call, and then executing
pg_stat_statements, you're worried about the wrong thing. What about
the overhead of fingerprinting every single statement executed against
the server? Now, as I've already acknowledged I might actually have
regressed things when pg_stat_statements is selected from very
frequently. That increases the need for the tool to support external
aggregation tools well.

> If we measure the real performance, we don't measure with monitoring
> SQL's cost. And, I cannot still understand you'd like to collect drastic
> detail performance of statements. I'd like to only know max, avg and stddev
> in each statement. They are enough, because we can improve them by using
> these information.

It's not just the performance cost of this one addition. It's also a
question of "where do we draw the line?", particularly given the
current lack of atomic portable addition. Most users of
pg_stat_statements don't care about the min/max. Furthermore, I'm not
convinced that you've adequately addressed the question of local
minima and maxima, even in your most recent revision.

> In summary of your comment, your patch is lower cost than I proposed patch.
> Because my patch has long lock problem, on the other hands your patch
> doesn't these problem. Is it right? If it true, I can understand your
> theoretically, but I'm not sure without real practice or benchmark that it
> is really or not. So we will need benchmark test in my patch and yours. I
> try it.

I don't know why you decided to compare our two patches at all -
what's the point? How are you going to benchmark my patch? If the
answer is pgbench, let me save you some time: there is no added
overhead there, because any additional cost that may exist is paid
only once per entry (at a time when an exclusive lock already needs to
be acquired on the entire table to create a new entry anyway).
Furthermore, my patch might actually be cost negative (i.e. faster),
because we can create a query text in the external file with only a
shared lock held (just using a spinlock to read-and-advance the offset
into the external file), rather than, with an *exclusive* lock held,
performing memcmp() to the 1KiB text shared memory buffer.

> I joined the db tech show case 2013 which is held in japan last week. Oracle
> speaker intoroduced performance schema and like these in MySQL 5.6. This is
> the slide of his. It's almost in japanese, but please see it since 31page.
> It is wirtten in SQL.
> http://www.slideshare.net/yoyamasaki/20131110-tuning-onmysql56
>
> In MySQL 5.6, it has information which are sum_time, min_time, avg_time,
> max_time and sum_lock_time. I think it is useful for understanding our
> executing statements.

Based on a reading of
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/events-statements-current-table.html,
I don't think that is comparable to pg_stat_statements. It looks like
this doesn't do any normalization - if it did, why is there "one row
per thread"?

>> This is incomprehensible. As with the cumulative aggregate costs, how
>> is a consumer of pg_stat_statements possibly going to get the full
>> query text from anywhere else? It *has* to come from
>> pg_stat_statements directly.
>
> I think that it is necessary to make it clear with real test.

I'd have started with a benchmark of your changes to
pg_stat_statements for an unsympathetic case. Even though there is
surely some demand for what you're asking for, you haven't adequately
demonstrated or even argued that what you've proposed is the right way
to do it, nor have you even tried to quantify the costs, or given any
indication that you've considered them.

--
Peter Geoghegan